The roof is your home’s first line of defense against the elements, keeping your family warm, dry, and safe, no matter the weather. However, storm events can cause roof damage and compromise this crucial structure. Understanding what harm your roof can sustain, and knowing the signs of roof damage to watch for, are the first steps toward getting it repaired.
What is Considered Roof Damage?
Here are some common types of roof damage to be aware of:
- Missing or damaged roof shingles: Shingles can crack, curl, tear, or warp in severe weather conditions. Missing shingles leave your roof exposed and vulnerable to further damage.
- Uplifted roofing materials: Strong winds can peel away roof shingles, tiles, or metal panels, paving the way for water damage and insect intrusion.
- Holes: Hailstones, fallen tree branches, or even animals can puncture your roof.
- Damaged flashing: Flashing is the metal component around roof penetrations designed to prevent water from seeping into places it shouldn’t. Damaged flashing can lead to leaks.
How Do I Know if My Roof Has Storm Damage?
Roof damage signs aren’t always immediately visible. Take a closer look around your house to determine if a storm has damaged the roof:
- Shingles on the ground: If shingles litter the landscape around your home after a storm, you can assume the roof has sustained damage.
- Gutters filled with shingle granules: Asphalt shingles lose granules over time, but severe weather speeds up this process, leaving your shingles bare and damage-prone.
- Damaged attic insulation: Wet or moldy insulation in your attic suggests the roof is leaking.
- Water stains on the ceiling: This is another direct consequence of a damaged, leaky roof.
What to Do if You Have Roof Damage
If you notice any signs of roof damage, take these steps to secure your home and begin the repair process:
- Document everything: Take photos and make detailed notes about any damage you see.
- Schedule a roof inspection: A professional roofing contractor can help you assess the extent of the damage.
- File a claim: If the damage is widespread, you may want to file a homeowner’s insurance claim.
- Compare roof repair estimates: Consider getting multiple quotes before choosing a roofing contractor.
- Schedule roof damage repair: Choose a highly trained and certified contractor to ensure high-quality work.
- Enjoy your newly repaired roof: Once the work is complete, you can rest easy knowing your home is protected from the elements once again.
Schedule a Roof Damage Repair Estimate
At Window Depot of Eastern Iowa, we understand the importance of a sturdy, well-maintained roof. As a locally owned and operated residential roofing contractor, we provide personalized service to each customer. Our GAF factory-certified roofers use the latest roof repair methods and materials to ensure the highest quality results. If you suspect your home has sustained roof damage, don’t hesitate to contact us at (319) 294-7000 for a free roof repair estimate in Eastern Iowa.